Family Violence Prevention Council
The Broome County ENOUGH ABUSE campaign is part of a movement taking place in several states to put an end to the silent epidemic of sexual abuse of children. The movement starts with a single word: ENOUGH
The Family Violence Prevention Council in collaboration with Crime Victim's Assistance Center can provide a free training for parents, caregivers and/or professional to give them the information they need to keep children safe from child sexual abuse. The goals of the training are to :
- Educate: discusses behavior signs that suggest someone may pose a risk to a child.
- Communicate: focuses on speaking to children about healthy body boundaries and respectful relationships.
- Advocate: discusses ways to prevent child sexual abuse from happening at all and ways to support child victims & handle disclosures.
If you would like to schedule a training for your group or would like more information please call:
723-3200 or visit www.cvac.us/enough-abuse-broome.html or Facebook.com/BinghamtonCVAC
BROOME COUNTY FAMILY VIOLENCE PREVENTION COUNCIL
The mission of the Council is to provide leadership to the community in its effort to reduce the incidence and severity of all forms of family violence. A largely professional volunteer organization with ten working subcommittees, it has devoted numerous hours to a wide variety of activities that focus coordination, advocacy, and education on the prevention and treatment of abuse and neglect and the corollary systems issues.
The Family Violence Prevention Council was formerly the Broome County Child Abuse Council
which was formed in 1985 through a County Executive order.
The purpose of the Family Violence Prevention Council is to provide a forum to address the incidence and effects of family violence in the community.
The Council shall strive to:
- Prevent family violence, maltreatment and neglect in all its forms - child abuse, domestic violence and elder abuse;
- Protect the most vulnerable members of families and end family abuse where it has occurred;
- Strengthen and support families and individuals to live lives free of family violence.
The Mission of the Family Violence Prevention Council shall be to reduce the incidence and severity of Family Violence in Broome County including child abuse and neglect, domestic violence, and elder abuse, by developing and implementing a comprehensive, coordinated community program for preventing, as well as identifying, assessing and treating all forms of Family Violence.
The range of supports and services for families and individuals affected by family violence will be improved as a result of the partnering of organizations and individuals within the forum of the Council.
Functions of the Council: Interagency Coordination, Program Development,Training of Professionals, Community Education & Advocacy.
Professional Organizational Membership
Prevent Child Abuse New York
New York State Coalition on Elder Abuse
Current Family Violence Prevention Council Members: